Now Playing
Last Song Played
Orlando's Classic Hits
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Last Song Played
Orlando's Classic Hits


200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe fired two days before retirement

United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions has fired former deputy director of the FBI Andrew McCabe, two days before McCabe was set to retire, according to news reports.

>> Read more trending news 

Sessions said in a statement released Friday night McCabe that McCabe was less than truthful while under oath several times, according to The New York Times.

“The F.B.I. expects every employee to adhere to the highest standards of honesty, integrity and accountability,” he said. “I have terminated the employment of Andrew McCabe effective immediately.”

In a statement Friday night, McCabe said his firing was politcally motivated.

"This attack on my credibility is one part of a larger effort not just to slander me personally, but to taint the FBI, law enforcement, and the intelligence professionals," McCabe said.

>> Related: Who is Andrew G. McCabe, former Deputy Director of the FBI?

In an earlier interview, McCabe rejected the allegations that he was untruthful during internal hearings, the Times reported.

>> Related: Rex Tillerson out as Secretary of State, replaced by Mike Pompeo

“The idea that I was dishonest is just wrong,” he said.

“This is part of an effort to discredit me as a witness.”

McCabe is a potential witness in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia during the 2016 presidential campaign.

>> Related: Who are key players in the Russia/Trump saga?

McCabe, who had been with the FBI for 22 years, resigned his position in late January, but stayed on at the agency’s until he was eligible to retire on Sunday.

Some Chinese takeout has as much salt as 5 McDonald’s Big Macs, health experts warn

Worried about high blood pressure? You may want to stay away from Chinese takeout.

>> Read more trending news 

Health experts have called for warning labels on Chinese takeaway and ready-made meals following a new survey revealing often "astonishing and harmful" salt levels.

The survey, published this week by a group of specialists from the United Kingdom-based organization Action on Salt, revealed that some Chinese takeaway dishes contain as much salt as five McDonald's Big Macs. Others contain more than half of the recommended daily allowance of salt for adults.

When it comes to ready-made Chinese meals in supermarkets, more than 40 percent of 141 that were analyzed had "high" levels of salt, meaning they contained more than 1.8 grams per portion. Some store-bought rice dishes have more salt than 11 bags of salted chips, the analysis revealed.

>> Related: Half of US adults now have high blood pressure, based on new guidelines

"Considering how many millions of takeaways and ready meals are eaten ... the food industry must be held to account, with new salt targets set by the government to ensure the salt content of these meals is reduced to much lower levels, and fast," Sarah Alderton, assistant nutritionist at Action on Salt, said in a press release.

Sonia Pombo, the organization’s campaign manager, called for the industry to make changes to their products.

"Our data shows that food can be easily reformulated with lower levels of salt, so why haven't all companies acted responsibly?" Pombo said. "We are asking everyone, including the food industry, to think first and use less salt."

Hemini Bharadia of Blood Pressure UK described the findings as "very concerning."

>> Related: These are the best diets for 2018

"We are all eating too much salt. This can lead to high blood pressure causing strokes and heart attacks, most of which could be avoided through better lifestyle choices," Bharadia told The Guardian.

Consuming high levels of salt has been linked to a variety of serious health problems, including high blood pressure, heart disease and strokes.

"Salt is the forgotten killer as it puts up our blood pressure, leading to tens of thousands of unnecessary strokes, heart failure and heart attacks every year," Graham MacGregor, the chairman of Action on Salt and a professor of cardiovascular medicine at Queen Mary University of London, said. "Reducing salt is the most cost-effective measure to reduce the number of people dying or suffering from strokes or heart disease."

As activists in the UK call for salt warning labels, New York City is leading the charge on raising awareness about the risks. In 2015, it became the first city in the United States to require high-sodium warning labels on restaurant menus.

>> Related: High-salt diet could cause dementia, study finds

According to the city government's health web page, New York is conducting "an unprecedented public-private partnership to help prevent heart disease and strokes by reducing the amount of sodium in packaged and restaurant foods."

"The National Salt Reduction Initiative (NSRI), a partnership of more than 100 state and local health authorities and national health organizations, set voluntary targets for salt levels in 62 categories of packaged food and 25 categories of restaurant food to guide food company sodium reductions in 2012 and 2014,” the city government shared on the site.

While this new survey from the U.K. may have highlighted the high levels of salt in Chinese food takeout and ready-made dishes, it’s important to note that high levels of sodium are common in many fast food favorites and snacks Americans consume on a daily basis.

>> Related: 7 ways to lower your blood pressure without medication

New York City's Deputy Health Commissioner Sonia Angell, who is also a physician, told NPR that many people just don't know there's a link between excessive salt intake, high blood pressure and heart disease.

“The majority of salt in our diet doesn't come from the salt shaker — it's already in the food when we purchase it," Angell said. "And that makes restaurants a really important place to give people guidance about how they might be making decisions — if they choose to do so — that might protect their health and their heart."

Miami bridge collapse: 6 confirmed dead, police say

A recently installed pedestrian bridge connecting Florida International University with the City of Sweetwater collapsed Thursday, killing at least six people, the Miami-Dade Police Department said Friday morning.

>> READ MORE: Miami bridge collapse: What is accelerated bridge construction? Photos: FIU pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami | Boston firm partly behind Zakim Bridge designed collapsed Florida bridge7 things to know about the fiery I-85 bridge collapseMORE

Winning numbers drawn in 'Fantasy 5' game

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) _ The winning numbers in Friday evening's drawing of the Florida Lottery's "Fantasy 5" game were:


(twelve, twenty-five, twenty-eight, twenty-nine, thirty-four)

Winning numbers drawn in 'Lucky Money' game

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) _ The winning numbers in Friday evening's drawing of the Florida Lottery's "Lucky Money" game were:

18-19-30-41, Lucky Ball: 16

(eighteen, nineteen, thirty, forty-one; Lucky Ball: sixteen)

Winning numbers drawn in 'Mega Millions' game

ATLANTA (AP) _ The winning numbers in Friday evening's drawing of the "Mega Millions" game were:

01-13-26-33-52, Mega Ball: 11, Megaplier: 3

(one, thirteen, twenty-six, thirty-three, fifty-two; Mega Ball: eleven; Megaplier: three)

Sessions fires former FBI Deputy Director McCabe

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Friday night that he was firing former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, a longtime and frequent target of President Donald Trump's anger, just two days before his scheduled retirement date.

The move, which had been expected, was made on the recommendation of FBI disciplinary officials and comes ahead of an inspector general report expected to conclude that McCabe was not forthcoming with the watchdog office as it reviewed the bureau's handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation.

Sessions said in a statement that investigators "concluded that Mr. McCabe had made an unauthorized disclosure to the news media and lacked candor - including under oath - on multiple occasions."

McCabe immediately disputed the findings in his own statement, saying the firing was part of a Trump administration "war" on the FBI.

"I am being singled out and treated this way because of the role I played, the actions I took, and the events I witnessed in the aftermath of the firing of James Comey," McCabe said, referring to the former FBI director who was fired by Trump last May.

Though McCabe had spent more than 20 years as a career FBI official, and had played key roles in some of the bureau's most recent significant investigations, Trump repeatedly condemned him over the last year as emblematic of an FBI leadership he contends is biased against his administration. The White House had said the firing decision was up to the Justice Department but seemed to signal this week that it would welcome the move.

The termination is symbolic to an extent since McCabe had been on leave from the FBI since last January, when he abruptly left the deputy director position. But it comes just ahead of his planned retirement, on Sunday, and puts his ability to receive pension benefits into jeopardy.

McCabe came under scrutiny from the Justice Department's inspector general's office over an October 2016 news report that revealed differing approaches within the FBI and Justice Department over how aggressively the Clinton Foundation should be investigated. The watchdog office had concluded that McCabe had authorized FBI officials to speak to a Wall Street Journal reporter for that story and that he had not been forthcoming with investigators about that - something McCabe denies, according to one person familiar with the matter.

Officials at the FBI's Office of Professional Responsibility had recommended the firing, leaving Justice Department leaders in a difficult situation. Sessions, whose job status has for months appeared shaky under blistering criticism from Trump, risked inflaming the White House if McCabe were to not be fired. But a decision to dismiss McCabe two days before his firing carried the risk of angering his rank-and-file supporters at the FBI.

McCabe, a lawyer by training, enjoyed a rapid career ascent in the bureau after joining in 1996. He was the FBI's top counterterrorism official during the Boston Marathon bombing and later the FBI's national security branch and its Washington field office, one of the bureau's largest, before being named to the deputy director position.

But he became entangled in presidential politics in 2016 when it was revealed that his wife during an unsuccessful bid for the Virginia state Senate had received campaign contributions from the political action committee of then-Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a close Clinton ally. The FBI has said McCabe received the necessary ethics approval about his wife's candidacy and was not supervising the Clinton investigation at the time the contributions were made.

He became acting director following the firing last May of Comey, and immediately assumed direct oversight of the FBI's investigation into possible coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign. As a congressional hearing two days after Comey's dismissal, McCabe contradicted White House assertions that the Trump campaign investigation was one of the "smallest things" on the FBI's plate and also strongly disputed the administration's suggestion that Comey had lost the respect of the bureau's workforce.

"I can tell you that the majority, the vast majority of FBI employees, enjoyed a deep and positive connection to Director Comey," McCabe said.

McCabe was among the officials interviewed to replace Comey as director. That position ultimately went to Christopher Wray.

On Thursday, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters the decision was up to the Justice Department but said "we do think that it is well documented that he has had some very troubling behavior and by most accounts a bad actor and should have some cause for concern."

WATCH: Haywire ski lift runs in reverse, flings off terrified skiers

A terrifying accident involving a ski lift at a resort in Eastern Europe that started running in reverse at high speed and flinging off horrified skiers was caught on cellphone video and posted on YouTube.

>> Read more trending news 

It happened in Gadauri, Georgia, in the Greater Caucasus Mountains.

The malfunctioning lift violently tossed tourists to the ground as it picked up speed, injuring 10 people, according to The Telegraph, including a Ukrainian man who broke his hand.

>> Related: WATCH: Baby elephant takes tourist on roll through mud. It’s hysterical!

At least one news outlet reported the ski lift operator was to blame for the accident, although it’s unclear exactly what happened.

Sonic will have pickle slushes on the menu this summer

Sonic Drive-In is bringing pickle juice to customers in its signature slush form.

Food & Wine reported that the drive-in restaurant chain will have pickle juice slushes on its menu this summer.

>> Read more trending news 

“Quite simply, pickle juice is fun,” Scott Uehlein, Sonic's vice president of product innovation and development, told Today in a statement. “Nothing says summer like a Sonic slush.”

According to Food & Wine writers who were able to taste the drink at Sonic’s Oklahoma City headquarters, the bright green treat is sweet and tangy. 

A Sonic team member told the publication that the syrup that makes the pickle slush can be added to anything once it’s on the menu, but it will be up to each franchise to decide if there is a charge for that.

Pickle juice slushes will be available to order at Sonic restaurants in June.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >