Learning Retreat Experience (At-a-Glance)8:00am - 8:30am: Breakfast [8-111]
8:30am - 8:45am: Welcome and Opening Remarks [8-111]9:00am - 10:30am: Concurrent Session A
- A1: Circles of Innovation [7-114]
- A2: Time Management [11-106]10:45am - 12:00pm: Concurrent Session B
- B1: Navigating Challenging Conversations [7-114]
- B2: Generational Differences [11-106]12:00pm - 12:30pm: Wrap Up & Closing Remarks [8-111]
12:30pm - 1:30pm: Lunch (On your own)
1:30pm - 5:00pm: Department Meetings
Concurrent Session A
A1: Circles of Innovation: Attend this interactive session to explore Circles of Innovation at Valencia. Circles of Innovation is “Where good ideas collide and great discoveries are made possible!” We will examine two case studies that suggest how innovation occurs and how to create the proper pre-conditions for it to occur. Case 1, “Where Good Ideas Come From”, suggests that innovation occurs when ideas collide. Case 2, “Don’t Be the Lid,” examines how to avoid impeding innovation.
- Presented By: Charles Fox, Assistant Director, Faculty and Instructional Development
A2: Time Management: Everyone struggles with battling the clock. Whether you are helping students overcome their time management challenges, or you are facing procrastination in your own lives, there always seems to be a need for more time. Since creating more hours in a day is not possible, various strategies and concepts will be discussed that can help anyone (from students to professionals) maximize their time and increase their personal efficiency.
- Presented By: Chip Turner, Professor, Student Life Skills & Larry Herndon, Professor, Student Life Skills
Concurrent Session B
B1: Navigating Challenging Conversations: Let's just be honest, interactions with students are not always pleasant. There are times when challenging situations will arise. Having the skills to navigate these potentially difficult conversations is critical. This presentation will offer tools and techniques to successfully navigate challenging interactions with students to create a win-win situation.
- Presented By: Carla McKnight, Coordinator, Student Conduct & Academic Success
B2: Generational Differences: While companies scramble to grab the attention of young minds through social media, educators are left scratching their heads. I will share what I have learned about working with millennial students, the generation gap, and the secret to winning the attention of students on their turf.
- Presented By: Josh Murdock, Instructional Design Specialist, OIT Adjunct Professor EPI & Student Success
General Attendee/Registration General Registration 0.00